By: Tina Craig
A box clutch is a must for Fall. Alexander McQueen (to-die-for ornate knuckle-dusters) and Bottega Veneta (beautiful blends of intrecciato leather and offbeat embroidery) make the best ones in my opinion. But the steep prices of their hard-shelled clutches are hard to swallow, even for me. So in the interest of not breaking the bank, here are five evening bags that prove good things come in small – and inexpensive – packages. Easily on trend and easy on the wallet, the best boxes under $200:
1. Sondra Roberts Lace Box Clutch: Sheer lace is making a big showing this season, and adding just a touch via a sharp box reaps maximum chicness. At Nordstrom for $110.
2. BCBG Max Azria Janis Stingray Box Clutch: BCBG remains a great go-to for accessories that hit the right notes at a nice price. Stingray is going as strong ever, and I appreciate the spotlighted texture of this box. At Macy’s for $171.
3. Warehouse Hard Box Clutch: Simple neutrality and minimalist design: that’s what it takes to make this steal, made out of pu (look far more expensive than it actually is). At Warehouse for $46.
4. Coast London Bianco Clutch: Wild things should pounce on this playful combination of bright floral pattern and layered latticework of shiny gold hardware. At Coast London for $120.
5. Reiss Hard Case Clutch Bag: A rich berry hue is right-on for Fall, and Reiss’ lacquered case, complete with gunmetal chain-strap, is as slick as a new tube of lipstick. At Reiss for $180.